Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Pitch Wars Mentee Bio



I decided to make this page since I hope some mentors (and maybe some agents I've already queried?) will be interested enough in Login to click into my blog! Stranger things have happened!=-) 



_________________________________________________________________________

Dear Pitch Wars Mentors (and visiting Agents?),


I picked you because you sounded amazing. Now it's my turn to try and entice you into picking me! Whew, was it this nerve-wracking for you?

This picture pretty much sums me up.

Breathless Bio:

I'm a New Orleanian currently living in Idaho. I love cats, anime, and singing (badly) songs from LotR. I drive a '72 VW Superbeetle, although I push it more often than I drive it. I'm told I look like Merida from Brave. I've had 6 concussions because—these things just happen. I'm 26. My hair is naturally red, and my eyes are brown—but somehow my hair and eyes are the same color! If I could only eat one thing for the rest of my life it would be guacamole. I support food labeling, because chemicals banned in 120 countries for causing asthma, probably cause asthma where they aren't banned too. I graduated from the University of New Orleans with a B.A. in hypermedia. I still don't know what "hypermedia" is. I have AADD (Art Attention Deficit Disorder). If it's creative, I want to do it. Two years ago I finally made my decision to focus on writing, but I still do fine art, illustration, and some Flash games. I really want to do animations again too. I sell custom hand-painted egg-owls and creeptastic art dolls. I still do tumbling to some extent, and I LOVE hand-balancing on random objects.

Books:

My greatest love in reading is YA spec-fic, which is why I write it. I love new worlds, books with meaning, and characters who feel like friends and inspire fan-art. I like books that make me care enough to cry.
Some of my favorite books are: LotR, Harry Potter, Hunger Games, Battle Royale, Incarceron, Chronicles of Prydain, Narnia, Game of Thrones, Graveyard Book, 1984, Lord of the Flies, Fahrenheit 451, Sea Wolf, Call of the Wild, Candide, Don Quixote.

Three things about LOGIN: 

1:
I think I (mostly unintentionally) poured many of my own experiences into Login. Looking at it now, I think Login is a combination of losing my dad at 14 (and nearly losing my mom a couple of years ago), feeling lost after moving, and the "personal Apocalypse" feel of living in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.

Edit: Wow, I think those experiences made me a better writer, and they definitely inspired parts of the story, but I did not mean for that to sound so doom and gloomy! I'm a fun person! I swear! Just look at that picture of me! That is totally fun!

2:
The Customized Children (cyborgs) in my story aren't traditional cyborgs. My cyborgs are just people with the internet built directly into their fake eyes, and an inability to logout from social networking. They—and the fact that parents must purchase all legal children "Customized" from a corporation—are my favorite elements in the story. As much as I love the internet, I think it would be horrible to be unable to logout from it. People with smartphones in their heads? No thank you!

3:
Although my main character Fayten is a sixteen-year-old girl who teams up with two boys, she's not thinking about romance. I am a huge fan of adventure (give me Indiana Jones!) so I tried to pick mentors who liked adventure, and didn't require romantic elements. Sometimes a girl's just gotta survive!

Reasons to Pick Me:

1:CC and Me!
I thrived in the art department, so of course I live for constructive criticism! I will work as hard as possible on revisions!=-) If I wasn't a ginger I would SELL MY SOUL to make revisions happen! Soul, or no soul, I will work my hardest! =)

2: These gifs.






3: Incentive. Well...Virtual Bribes.
I know how to make chocolate. Just take a minute to let that sink in. Melty delicious chocolate.
I can also make Egg-Owls. Is that bribery? YES. Many will bribe you with cookies, but I have chocolate and Egg-Owls, so PICK ME! This applies to mentors, and any awesome agent who wants to be my awesome agent. EGG-OWLS FOR EVERYONE!


4: Fangirl friends.
You can fangirl with me about a LOT of things: books, anime, video games, Ghibli, Disney, Dr. Who, Adventure Time! You can fangirl with me even if you don't pick me. My Twitter name is @DreamOfFire . I can always use more fangirl/boy friends!




5: PIRATES.
I forgot to mention this, but my book has Freelancers (a.k.a. modern pirates!) in it!



6:...There should be more reasons...but I can't think of any, so just know that I will make this face if you don't pick me. Trust me, the face looks really sad without the handstand.

Thank you for stopping by my blog! I hope you consider me!



6 comments:

  1. This is awesome! If I was an agent, I'd totally want you for a client. Who could possibly be more awesome to work with? And free egglets! Can't beat that.

    Sorry to hear about your parents, though. I had no idea. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only person more awesome? YOU! Maybe once you get an agent, you can get me in!;-D

      Aw, thank you. <3 I think writing about that fear of losing both was the best thing I could have done. I call Login my "therapy book," because it just made me feel so good to get those thoughts out of my head. I do feel a little guilty that I gave them to my MC... but better her than me! Muhaha! >:-)

      P.S. My mom is totally fine now. We had a bad scare, but luckily my mom started researching food.
      OMW, it is scary what is in average American food! Flame retardant! Formaldehyde! Indigestible, tumor/cancer causing GMOs manufactured by the people who made Agent Orange (they are head of the FDA now too)! It is ridiculous! My mom cut out all that bad stuff (pretty much everything manufactured), cured herself, and she is more of a fireball of energy than she ever was!=-)
      I don't know what it's like in Canada, but I've only recently realized that in the United States, we have to watch out for ourselves.=-\

      Delete
  2. I love the bio! Especially the parts about your book. Best of luck with the contest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Best of luck to you too! Do you have a PitchWars bio up?=-)

      Delete
  3. Love this, Tana! Sorry to hear about your parents though :(
    I wish I could do hand-stands like that, but I'm afraid I'd break my neck. I'm an extremely uncoordinated person. I absolutely loved #3 about your novel too. I was just talking about that with a YA fantasy writer friend of mine. Sometimes a girls just gotta do her thing, and there's no room for swooning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim!=)
      Handstands are so incredibly fun! I have NO IDEA why, but they are!=-) I wish I could teach everyone the joy of the handstand! I heard handstands make red hair redder too, because all the blood rushes to it! ...Yes, I am lying, but not about handstands being fun!:-)

      Yay! Thank you! I was worried at first, since it seems like a lot of people really want that romantic focus, but I actually found quite a few mentors who didn't require it! I didn't want people to think that girl + 2 boys automatically meant love triangle. :-D

      Delete