Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Licensing Expo 2013 (Favorite Photos)

Licensing Expo 2013!

Since writing is my thing,
I had to get a photo of the Penguin booth before opening!
I actually saw a nice editor I'd met at a SCBWI!
Ok, so I got asked to assist my friend (who is an incredible artist!) at Licensing Expo 2013 in Vegas, and, for once in my life, I didn't overthink things, bought my ticket, headed to Las Vegas... and had the greatest experience of my life! I learned trade secrets from artists whose work I have unknowingly encountered for years, and had my mind opened to new possibilities and new inspiration. The Expo was like everything good in this world, combined and wrapped in a tortilla with extra guacamole on top! The only way it could have been a better experience, would have been if I could have attended Licensing University, and the Expo, at the same time!

The Expo was chock-full of every major company/brand you could think of (Disney/Cartoon Network/ Nickelodeon /Mattel/Hello Kitty/Lamborghini/Penguin Publishing), each competing for attention with mind-blowing visual displays that often trailed down (or climbed up) to the 3-story tall ceiling in the Mandalay Bay convention hall. I saw everything from Macy's Day Parade-esque balloons, to giant sculptures of popular characters and massive banners. The "booths" showed off new merchandise and exclusive giveaways, while important looking people from all over the world discussed business.

One of my drawings! Yay!
The Expo also had a smaller area specifically for artists looking for (and finding) licensees.

 I loved working for an exhibitor, although I'm not sure how much I helped. It was hard not to wander off, lost in displays that more than rivaled the Vegas Strip. It was incredible to get this "behind the scenes" look at the global world of licensing (and to be surrounded by global brands, celebrities, and artists!). I'm still searching for an agent for my novel, but I'm hoping to find enough time to develop some of my art concepts, and to invest in a booth of my own next year. With a bit of luck, and a lot of work, it might actually be possible to have merchandise made from my drawings!!




---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I wrote a little bit more about the convention in my previous post, but this post is devoted to my favorite photos from the Licensing Expo 2013!

I realized one thing on this trip: this is the world I belong in! Whether it's writing, or art, I need to be surrounded by creative people at all times!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"A king should never be comfortable."
So cool to get a chance to sit the Iron Throne!

The Iron Throne and Stan Lee!


HBO brought in the Iron Throne, allowing exhibitors and attendees to get professional photos on it! I'm a huge fan of G.R.R.M.'s books, and of the show too (although I am really behind!)! I must say, it was good to be queen!






The Iron Throne brings me to...



Cannot believe I met Stan Lee!

              

   

 STAN LEE!!!

I was leaving the Expo, passing the Iron Throne, when suddenly, my Spidey-senses were tingling, and I turned to see that Stan Lee was standing right behind me! I couldn't believe my eyes! 

Oh my gosh! <3 I'm usually too shy to ask for a photo, but he was so nice, that my fear dissipated like water in the hot Nevada desert.  His presence also explained the strange gate that miraculously popped up outside that was super difficult to circumnavigate! 
Very cool!



How cool is this picture?
Here are some pictures I took of him sitting in the Iron Throne. What a cool guy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Character Parade!
Pitchie Patchies (tm)came ALLLLIIIVEE!

The Character Parade!



On the opening day of the Expo  I was a part of the Character Parade! Definitely the strangest thing I've ever done, but actually very fun. I'm hoping to find pictures of the whole character lineup. Peppa Pig kept bumping me with her head, but the poor thing was blind, so it wasn't her fault. I couldn't see a whole lot, but I know the Minions, some unidentifiable cats, Lazy Town, and Ugly Doll characters were all there. Candy Crush candies were there too. If my costume had had better opposable thumbs, I might have attacked them!  Jerks got me addicted to their stupid game!



"It's a piece of cake to bake a pretty cake." Is it weird that I know that song?
"It's a piece of cake to bake a pretty cake!"
Is it weird that I know that song?



I got out of the costume after the parade, which meant I could take photos as normal me, with the other characters! Last day I got a picture with the Lazy Town crew. I know they were from Lazy Town since my fellow art dept. students in college introduced me to some YouTube clips of the show. That's the art dept.for ya.
I am Rainbow Ranger.







...and with the giant Power Ranger display!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Awesome Neighbor!

 

Spawn!

Al Simmons ended up being our next door booth neighbor! I have to admit, I didn't know what "Spawn" was (I've always been a manga girl, so I don't know much about American comics), but he, and his friends, were the best booth neighbors anyone could ask for, and Al treated us to a dance every time someone was approached by a major client! I asked him to approve of my portfolio. He did, and I can now officially say: "Al Simmons approves of this work!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Albert and Raul approve!

The Hotel Guys

When the Expo closed it was like seeing Disney World getting torn down. It was sad, but it was also quite impressive to see how fast everything vanished. I was glad I had a badge so I could stay and watch for a while. Anyway, by the end of the Expo I had so many booklets about licensing, and so many goodies from the exclusive giveaways, that I thought I'd have to Fedex a box. I asked some "info booth" employees from the Luxor if they knew what time the Fedex in Mandalay Bay closed, and one of them happened to see the very edge of my portfolio sticking up out of my backpack. I ended up spending a long time talking to them! Although I made friends with some actual Disney and Dreamworks artists/former artists (ohmygosh!!!), and some of them were nice enough to ask to see my artwork, these two hotel workers asking to see my portfolio, meant just as much!



More photos will be added soon!
Until next year!



















No comments:

Post a Comment