Sunday, January 5, 2014

Winter Wrap Up!

Highlights of the year!

  • MET STAN LEE!
  • Sat in the Iron Throne.
  • Saw a BFF get married!
  • Did at least two good one-armed handstands.
  • Opened my shop FairiesAndFinds and made my first sales!
  • Learned how to put on eye makeup. Shaboom!

Oh...this is supposed to be about writing? Ok, well, I also sent out my first query.
...
What? That isn't a good enough wrap up? Well okay then, I will try a little harder.

This has been a year of firsts, and I haven't exactly let this blog live up to its title, so it's time for a Writing Revelations winter wrap up! Since this is my first year trying to get my writing out there, I thought I should post my year end stats! :-)
I also really wanted to post this:
I swear, "Winter Wrap Up"  is as good as a 90s' Disney song!
Writing stats:

Went to first writer conference: SCBWI in Boise.

Started querying: March 20th (my birthday!).
Number of queries sent in 2013: 12: 3 from Twitter Pitches, 3 from feedback opportunities, 1 from a contest, 5 regular queries.
   Responses: 8 rejections, 1 partial/rejection (That was before I got rid of the italics! So embarassed I sent it like that! Thank you CP for kicking my butt into getting rid of those!), 2 fulls (Both still out!), 1 open query.

 I was feeling bad about my queries, but putting them in a list like this, hey! That's not so bad! Not as bad as I thought at any rate! I know 12 is usually what people send out in one day, not 12 in 9 months...but I can't help it that I am slow to query! I like to research first.=)

Regrets: 1: I still haven't sent in a request from PitMad. The second I was about to send the query, I got an email that made me think some revisions were in order. Those revisions took a lot longer than I expected. I am so glad I made the changes, but I feel too embarrassed to send a months late request. I still want to send. I just...uh, maybe it will just be a regular query now.=-\

Contests: From PitMad on I tried to enter as many as I could: Successful contests: 2 twitter pitches (PitMad and PichMas), finalist in NightmareQuery, and Secret Agent.

Other---
Discovered Twitter: I love the writing community!
Found my CP: THE BEST PERSON I COULD HAVE EVER FOUND! A brutal critiquer who is ALWAYS right. A beautiful person/awesome friend!=)

I want to thank everyone who made 2013 amazing. So glad to have found writing friends, both online, and in real life.

Resolutions: I hope to be a little less uptight about sending out queries next year, and I really want to get back to writing as soon as possible. For my own sanity I need to finish Restart, Login's sequel!

2 comments:

  1. Definitely send the partials that have been requested, even if they're late. Agents are busy, and they take Nov/Dec off, anyways. Chances are, they won't even notice. They request tons of manuscripts that they never, ever see.

    Sounds like you made some great progress! All the best in 2014. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Thanks, Holli!
      Good luck to us both in 2014!!!
      P.S. LOVE the pic of your kitty!

      Delete